Proper care is key for not only maintaining good daily oral hygiene but also for keeping dentures lasting longer with a more comfortable fit. Along with keeping up with your regular dentist visits to check the fit and condition of dentures, the following steps can help keep dentures clean and stain-free.
Remove and Rinse
- Placing a towel on your sink can prevent dentures from breaking during cleaning if you should drop them.
- Carefully remove dentures and rinse them to clean off any food debris. Use a soft toothbrush to clean your natural teeth and gums, removing any leftover adhesive.
Soak Dentures Overnight
- To keep your dentures fitting properly, it is important for them to stay moist in order to maintain their shape. Following guidelines from the manufacturer, soak dentures overnight in a gentle soaking solution. Before putting dentures back into your mouth after soaking, make sure to thoroughly rinse again.
- Particularly if using a cleaning solution these chemicals can be harmful if swallowed. Be careful soaking dentures with metal attachments in solutions that contain chloride as these can corrode and degrade metal, according to the Mayo clinic.
- Brushing removes build-up plaque and food debris after dentures have been soaked. Using a soft bristled brush or a denture brush and denture cleanser, give your dentures a gentle brushing daily.
What to Avoid
Strong Cleaners and Abrasive Brushes
- Avoid damage by not using firm bristled toothbrushes or toothpaste with abrasive components as these can break down dentures. Scratches in your dentures can actually harbor bacteria.
- Whitening products, such as toothpastes, often contain peroxide which is not effective on brightening dentures.
- Heat from hot or boiling water can alter the shape of your dentures. Changing the fit of your dentures can lead to discomfort and eventually mouth sores.
Maintain optimal oral health and keep dentures clean for years to come with a daily cleaning routine. Schedule a visit to our office to keep your dentures properly fitted and comfortable.